Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday's Meaterie Review - The Salt Lick Barbecue, Driftwood, Texas

This is not only the best barbecue joint in the whole dang world, but the best meaterie as well. It is possible that by writing about this in my first installment of my meaterie reviews that I am shooting my wad and that subsequent reviews won't be as significant. However, I felt that to not honor the Salt Lick as my first review would be to do it, and you, a great disservice.

The Salt Lick is just a short drive south of Austin, Texas. Just follow the smells. It is a family oriented bbq joint with extra long picnic benches to accomodate your whole clan or small militia. They offer an all-you-can-eat option known affectionately as "family style" which will provide you with the three meats (brisket, ribs, and sausage) as well as potato salad, slaw, beans, bread, pickles, and onions.

All meats are cooked the only way true barbecue should be, with a dry rub and smoked with indirect heat. Sauce is on the side to be added afterward. But the sauce is not to be ignored at the Salt Lick. I could honestly drink it out of a glass by itself. Not exactly thirst quenching, but delicious nonetheless.

But, obviously, the most important part of any bbq joint is their meat. And the Salt Lick's is unequaled. The brisket is tender and moist and flavorful. There is no need for the drinkable sauce but a small amount enhances it to harmonious proportions. The sausage is firm, not mealy, and rivals any of the central Texas legends from Elgin. And the ribs are heavenly. I don't put sauce on these. I don't have the time.

I am told there are poultry options available and that they are excellent. But I refuse to go to the Salt Lick and not order family style. It's just against all I believe in.
If you decide to head down to Driftwood for the best meat in the land and you like a cold beverage of the alcoholic variety, then please note that the Salt Lick is BYOB. Coolers on wheels are the norm.

No comments: